2014 Charlie Long Award Recipient…. Kenna Anderson
Speech presented by Lea Jackman…
You’ve all heard about what a wonderful man Charlie was and honestly, given all that Charlie did for WDSRA and the greater Wheaton community, it is our honor to host this Golf Classic that bears his name. We are also thrilled to present the Charlie Long Award annually in his memory. My comments will only scratch the surface of what this individual has accomplished and how they make this world a better place.
Everything our award winner does requires organization, time and great passion. Our 2014 Charlie Long Award winner:
• Volunteers as a reading teacher for District 200
• Heads up the Wheaton Warrenville South High School show choir benefit which includes soliciting for auction items
• Provides volunteer support for Wheaton Warrenville South High School Show Choir competitions and fund raisers
• Chairs the Christian Education Committee at St. Matthew and also runs vacation Bible School
• Supports WDSRA at an auction committee level as well as a consultant
• Volunteers along with her son for WDSRA’s Windy City Warriors program
• Supports her son (who clearly is following in her footsteps) who organized a fundraiser at Wheaton Warrenville South in support of WDSRA’s Adapted Sports Program. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!
• Plans and volunteers for the annual Children’s Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation conference
• Chairs the annual gala for Children’s Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation
• Serves or has served on boards too numerous to mention
• Serves as “team mom” more times than one can count
• Organizes the silent auction for the Cadence Golf Outing
• This person solicits on behalf of many to make experiences for others memorable
By now many of you have figured out that the 2014 Charlie Long Award winner is Kenna Anderson of Wheaton. Kenna, we are humbled by your example. You lead with your actions and your share your passion for improving lives thru service to others. You have instilled that same sense of caring and “giving back” in your children.
The plaque that we are presenting you with this evening is complete with our sentiments of gratitude, but also bears a beautiful picture of your family. Undoubtedly, they are a source of your strength. You and Bruce have every reason to be proud of these wonderful children you have raised. But for tonight, let your wonderful family as well as all of us celebrate and take pride in you. We celebrate all you have done to make so many organizations better places, but especially all of the work you have done on behalf of WDSRA and those we serve.
Kenna, you live your life with a sense of calling. You love what you do and you create value in the lives of others. I’m sure Charlie is looking down with great pride to find that the first woman to accept the Charlie Long Award is Kenna Anderson. You wholeheartedly represent each and every quality Charlie lived his life by! Please come up and join us as we celebrate all that you represent.